I love my Sparkling Pond quilt (top right), but every time I think I'm done with the blocks for this quilt, I end up deciding that I need more blocks to make it a little better. I had twelve blocks from the bee members in It's Sew Easy Bee-ing Green Bee. I made four blocks to add to those. And then 4 more, then 5, and then 11 more. And now I have finally finished the last 6 blocks of the quilt top. Now it is all put together and has a border. If I get tempted to make it any bigger, I just won't. No more string blocks for me for a l-o-n-g time.
Here is a shot of the top folded in fourths. The snow and mud are not conducive to photographing this enormous beast.
It will be nearly queen sized when done. The top alone weighs nearly 3 pounds. There are over 8 yards in the top when figured by weight. String blocks sure do suck up the fabric.
Here is the start of the back of the quilt.
In the process of finishing the top, making the back, and putting on the borders, I had a lot of extra Nicey Jane fabric plus a ton of pistachio green solid that did not work for the border at all. I hope to try a new quilting pattern on Sparkling Pond, so I thought I'd make a few baby quilt tops to practice on.
I'm in a straight line piecing phase right now, so it will be some time before I gather the guts to quilt these. I'll keep you in the loop, though.
(I must also add that this post was brought to you by my most patient husband. Not many men would be willing to stand out in the cold to photograph a bunch of quilt tops while someone bosses them around to get the best lighting.
I'm glad you weren't late to work, Honey!)