We took this picture last week Thursday. It is the last one before drove off late on Friday to move to Maryland. I put a lot of work and heart into this house and on that final day, I really struggled with leaving some projects unfinished. Thankfully my friend, Tina, gave me a good talking to. We delegated a few projects to friends and neighbors and left some just be. It was a good thing, too. Ben started work on Monday and we've been swamped ever since.
Anyway, in the spirit of accepting imperfections, I thought I'd share a few pictures from my Baptist fan quilting adventure.
I marked every single line on the quilt, which took a *lot* of time.
Here is the template I made by tracing the curves of a dinner plate and marking where the fans started and ended as well as the square lines for the quilt.
I ran out of the plastic template material so the inside curves were made with paperboard.
I used these marking pencils from Joann Fabrics. I can't say that I love them. The leads broke often and it took three washings to get the blue out. I'll need to try a different marking tool next time.
Even with the curves marked, my sewing lines are a little rough when you look closely.
Thankfully, after a wash (or three) and taking a step back, the quilt looks crinkly and lovely.
I hope that showing some of my imperfections will inspire someone else to jump in and try some fan quilting. I planned from the beginning to give this quilt to charity so I didn't sweat the mistakes as much. Let me know if you try it out.