Basting and Quilting Process via Instagram Photos

My apologies if you've already seen these pictures on IG or on flickr. I just thought that I'd actually photograph and talk about my process. 

Here is the quilt back spread out on my floor after I finished sewing it.  You can see the quilt top in a crumpled heap at the top left of the picture.  I hate measuring things larger than my cutting mat, so I just use the quilt top spread out to determine approximately how big the back needs to be.  The block in the foreground is made entirely of selvages from the fabrics used in the quilt.

Sewing a quilt back.


Here is the quilt back lightly stretched and taped to my floor with the wrong side up. 

Backing taped to the floor.


I'm using Hobbs wool batting for the first time.  This is also the first time I spray basted a quilt that is full bed size.  The spray and roll technique worked okay for the back, but the wool batting was misshapen from the packaging process.  It needed a LOT of smoothing to work out the batting "bubbles." 

My first use of wool batting. Spray basting with 505.


The quilt top started as a bee quilt by the members of the It's Sew Easy Bee-ing Green Bee.  I received 12 blocks in the bee and then made another 30 blocks to make the size I wanted.  I used the spray and roll technique here, too, but the adhesive mist made the top messier than I wanted.

Spray basting the top now.


My white border was a complete mess.  When I sewed it on I had the border fabric on the bottom.  I guess that was a bad idea.  I had an hour of quality time stretched out on my belly with the seam ripper in hand. 

The quilt is smooth but the border is a mess. I'll have to use the #seamripper.


I'm not familiar with wool batting and I don't entirely trust spray basting, so I reinforced it with some pins.

This could take awhile...


Then I spent many hours with templates and a Frixion pen marking a fan pattern over the entire quilt top.

Can it still be called free motion quilting when I've marked every line with Frixion pen??


And here is a small section that has been quilted and then ironed to remove the pen markings.  It will take me many more days to finish the quilting.  I'm looking forward to seeing the wool batting puff up after washing. 

A little of the quilting after ironing the Frixion pen out.


For anyone that is curious, previous posts about this quilt are here, here, here, here, and here. That's what happens when a quilt is started in January 2011 and doesn't get quilted until two and a half years later. 

6 comments:

Patchwork and Play said...

Thanks for the progress photos! I am always a bit puzzled when laying out my backing - taut but not too much- that always throws me! Linda @ Flourishing Palms recently wrote about wool batting and spray! She says she has no troubles but I'd tend to add pins too- just in case, hey?!!

Kelly O. said...

what marking pen brand do you use? I haven't trusted my pens on white yet...

Suz said...

Love your top, and I've just bought a baptist fan template so I hope to be quilting soon too! I've found that wool batting doesn't have the greatest hold with spray basting. Although every product achieves different results so it will be interesting how you get on. Can't go past good old cotton in my opinion. Good luck!

Laura said...

I'm had 2 quilts quilted with wool batting, and they are beautiful. A little puffier than with cotton batting and definitely warmer.

Kate said...

That quilt is, and will definitely be, beautiful!!! I love the colours, the blocks, and the quilting. How have you found the spray basting to be holding up. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it, but I think anything to avoid pinning for hours might at least be worth a shot!

knitting sandwich said...

i like the step by step photos - i will be returning to this page in the future (shortly before i call you all upset because i have no idea what i'm doing :)
-melissa

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)